Home  | About  | Contact
  • slide0
  • slide1
  • slide2
  • slide3
  • slide4
  • slide5
  • slide6
  • slide7
  • slide8
  • slide9
  • slide10
  • slide11
  • slide12
  • slide13
  • slide14
  • slide15
  • slide16
  • slide17
  • slide18
Previous Next
About Us
About Us  | Our Facilities  | Barrier Free Facility  | Contact Us  | Our Staff  | Privacy Policy  | Pricing Philosophy

Prior to Frank X. Mulligan, Sr. opening the funeral home for business in 1946 the Mulligan family had been in Harrison for several generations. John J. Mulligan had a coal and ice company on Harrison Ave. between the current Town Hall and Health Dept. Annex in the 1850's. Dr. Aloysius A. Mulligan (his son) built a residence and doctor's office at 331 Cleveland Ave., the site of the funeral home. He practiced medicine here until his demise in 1944.

Dr. Stanley J. Siwek took the practice over and moved to its current site 428 Central Ave. in 1946 when Frank X. Mulligan, Sr. opened the funeral home. Frank X. Mulligan, Sr. was attending St. Anselm's College, New Hampshire as a pre-med student and went into the U.S. Coast Guard as a Chief Pharmacist's Mate during WWII. He was assigned to a Navy ship and traveled throughout the South Pacific during many island invasions to oust the Japanese during the war. When he left service in 1946, his father had died and the G. I. Bill offered him the opportunity to go to Mortuary School in New York City for six weeks before becoming a licensed funeral director.

So our founder Frank X. Mulligan, Sr. started the funeral home in the building his father built as a physician's office and home. The living room was the first viewing room and the dining room (our current arrangements office) was the second viewing room. Each year the business grew under his stewardship. He doubled the size of the funeral home in 1966 with the addition of a central hallway and large viewing room, smoking lounge and casket showroom so families no longer had to travel to the manufacturer's in Newark.

By 1982, Mulligan Funeral Home had served thousands of families in their times of need.  Also in 1982, Frank X. Mulligan, Jr. and his wife Judith purchased the funeral home from Frank & Florence Mulligan.  Having worked for his father at the funeral home as a helper, door attendant, and pallbearer, Frank Jr. received his funeral director’s license in 1969.  In addition to his work at the funeral home, Frank Jr. was also a school teacher and college professor.  In 1986, Frank Jr. left the classroom and committed all of his effort and energy to the funeral home. 

Subsequently Frank Jr. & Judith made several renovations to the funeral home including the installation of a carport, modernizing the interior and décor, and making the funeral home handicapped-accessible.  

The funeral home is currently owned and managed by Frank X. Mulligan III – the third generation to continue the family’s service to the community.    

Our facility is dedicated in loving memory of our founder Frank X. Mulligan, Sr. We hope each and every family and visitor finds peace and solace here in your time of need.

Click one of the images below to view a large copy of it. When viewing the image, click on the left or right edges to scroll forward and back through all images.

Copyright © 2017 Mulligan Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved.    | Website by CFS |